Oracle Ace Director
Edward Whalen is the Chief Technologist and Founder of Performance Tuning® Corporation (www.perftuning.com)and has been working with Oracle for over 20 years. He holds the distinction of being one of the few people to write books on both Oracle Database and MS SQL Server and has written for both Oracle Press and Microsoft Press.
Career Overview and Summary
Ed Whalen is an Oracle ACE Director and the Chief Technologist at Performance Tuning Corporation (www.perftuning.com), a consulting company specializing in database performance, administration, virtualization and disaster recovery solutions. With over 20+ years of experience, Ed has demonstrated expertise in system architectural design for optimal performance. His career includes architecting hardware, OS, database and virtualization for numerous companies and federal agencies. Edward Whalen has written eight books on Oracle products and five books on MS SQL Server and has just published the Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Deep Dive book for Oracle Press. He has also worked on numerous benchmarks and performance tuning projects with both Oracle and MS SQL Server.
Edward Whalen has extensive architectural experience consisting of all layers of the cloud/application stack from storage and hardware to hypervisor and OS and to the database. This experience has provided the foundation for the system architecture work that he has done in the past.
Edward started out in college as an experimental physicist working in High Energy Physics on projects at both Fermi lab and the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. After working briefly on the Super Collider he moved into computer software, followed by computer hardware, Operating System development which evolved into database performance engineering.
Hardware, OS, Cloud Computing and Database Architecture – Subject Matter Expert in Oracle, Cloud Computing and underlying support components such as OS, Hardware and Storage. This includes a wide range of products and technologies from various Software and Hardware vendors:
- Expert in Oracle technologies including Oracle Database, Oracle Applications and Oracle Cloud Management
- Expert in cloud virtualization technologies including Oracle VM and VMware
- Expert in Linux/Unix operating systems
- Deep knowledge of computer hardware technologies and former employee of Compaq Computer Corporation
- Deep knowledge of SAN/NAS storage architecture, sizing and capacity planning
Edward Whalen is the author of 10 books and is currently working on his 11th.
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Deep Dive, Oracle Press, 2013
- Oracle VM Implementation and Administration Guide, Oracle Press, 2011
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Implementation Guide (Technical Editor), Oracle Press, 2009
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Administrator’s Companion, Microsoft Press, 2006
- Oracle10g Linux Administration, Oracle Press, 2004
- Oracle Performance Tuning, Addison Wesley, 2002
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Performance Tuning Technical Reference, Microsoft Press, 2001
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Administrator’s Companion, Microsoft Press, 2000
- Microsoft SQL Server 7 Performance Tuning Technical Reference, Microsoft Press, 2000
- Microsoft SQL Server 7 Administrator’s Companion, Microsoft Press, 1999
- Oracle Performance Tuning and Optimization, MacMillan Publications, 1996
- Teach Yourself Oracle8 in 21 Days, MacMillan Publications, November 1997
- Oracle8 Server Unleashed (Contributing Author), MacMillan Publications, 1998
“Performance Tuning was able to quickly troubleshoot and resolve many technical issues that often eluded other consulting companies we’ve worked with. I was most impressed by their quick response in emergency situations. They’ ve been instrumental in the delivery of Oracle technologies such as Oracle RAC, Grid Control and Data Guard.”
“Performance Tuning was able to offer unique insights to database design and performance tuning optimization on a world class level. They did a superb job of load testing, which was cited by Microsoft (a team member) as, the best we’ve seen in three years and 50 customers to come through our SQL Server Performance Tuning Lab. This statement came from the SQL Server Product Group in Redmond – a tough crowd to please. In addition, they accelerated several products including our flagship Thomson ONE Analytics and were a key part of a project whose success has lead to case studies by Intel, Microsoft, and Unisys.”
“The Instructor was able to customize the course slightly to meet the needs and levels of experience in the class. It was great to get some real hands on to cement in what was reviewed and explained.”
“We recently had a problem with SQL Server performance after introducing virtualization and a SAN in our server environment. After working with two different consulting companies without success, we contacted Performance Tuning Corporation. PTC rapidly set up a remote engagement with us, and within one week was able to identify a problem with a virtual device driver. We are very satisfied with the work PFC performed, and feel it is some of the best consulting money that we have spent in several years.”
PTC has been phenomenal. It’s a scary time when your most critical data is being moved while users are in the system working. Especially on the heals of our previous vendor’s failed attempt. I can only describe it as a calming effect when true professionals are running the show.
“We are very pleased with the work that PTC performed. They were able to extract information from SQL Server and use that information to identify the exact causes of our performance bottlenecks. They provided us with information, tools, and instructions on how we can locate the cause of our performance problems. The final report contained good information and gives us a benchmark for doing future performance reviews.”
“This is a well balanced course (Optimizing Oracle RAC on Linux) covering all major topics from System Administration to Database Administration unlike most of the courses”