Career Overview and Summary
Edward Whalen is an Oracle ACE and the Chief Technologist at Performance Tuning Corporation (www.perftuning.com), a consulting company specializing in database performance, administration, virtualization and disaster recovery solutions. With over 20+ years of experience, Ed has demonstrated expertise in system architectural design for optimal performance. His career includes architecting hardware, OS, database and virtualization for numerous companies and federal agencies. Edward Whalen has written six books on Oracle products and five books on MS SQL Server and is currently working on the Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Deep Dive book for Oracle Press. He has also worked on numerous benchmarks and performance tuning projects with both Oracle and MS SQL Server.
Edward Whalen has extensive architectural experience consisting of all layers of the cloud/application stack from storage and hardware to hypervisor and OS and to the database. This experience has provided the foundation for the system architecture work that he has done in the past.
Edward started out in college as an experimental physicist working in High Energy Physics on projects at both Fermi lab and the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. After working briefly on the Super Collider he moved into computer software, followed by computer hardware, Operating System development which evolved into database performance engineering.
Hardware, OS, Cloud Computing and Database Architecture – Subject Matter Expert in Oracle, Cloud Computing and underlying support components such as OS, Hardware and Storage. This includes a wide range of products and technologies from various Software and Hardware vendors:
- Expert in Oracle technologies including Oracle database server, Oracle Applications and Oracle Cloud Management
- Expert in cloud virtualization technologies including Oracle VM and VMWare
- Expert in Linux/Unix operating systems
- Deep knowledge of computer hardware technologies and former employee of Compaq Computer Corporation
- Deep knowledge of SAN/NAS storage architecture, sizing and capacity planning
Edward Whalen is the author of 10 books and is currently working on his 11th.
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Deep Dive, Oracle Press, 2012
- Oracle VM Implementation and Administration Guide, Oracle Press, 2011
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Implementation Guide (Technical Editor), Oracle Press, 2009
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Administrator’s Companion, Microsoft Press, 2006
- Oracle10g Linux Administration, Oracle Press, 2004
- Oracle Performance Tuning, Addison Wesley, 2002
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Performance Tuning Technical Reference, Microsoft Press, 2001
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Administrator’s Companion, Microsoft Press, 2000
- Microsoft SQL Server 7 Performance Tuning Technical Reference, Microsoft Press, 2000
- Microsoft SQL Server 7 Administrator’s Companion, Microsoft Press, 1999
- Oracle Performance Tuning and Optimization, MacMillan Publications, 1996
- Teach Yourself Oracle8 in 21 Days, MacMillan Publications, November 1997
- Oracle8 Server Unleashed (Contributing Author), MacMillan Publications, 1998